lunedì 13 febbraio 2012

In case you weren't already dying

Fact: depression is the the most common self diagnosed illness, or maybe a close second after the common cold (I don't know, I'm making those facts up). Anyway, it's really easy for a sad person, and we all are at some point, to convince himself that he need some kind of help, and who does the doctor thinks he is to say he doesn't really need pills, a doctor? If he wants his share of legal drugs he shall receive it, it's not communist Russia around here.

This scenario may be rarer than I think, but do you want to see something that will help me being right?




I hope I'm not breaking any law here (and if I am I hope they discover me after I go back to Italy in a few months, take that FBI!), anyway the point I'm trying to make is that those kind of commercials, I've chosen the first one I found on youtube, will actually lead people to depression drugs even if they aren't clinically depressed. I'm a firm believer in the existence of a very serious medical condition called depression, and I strongly agree with all those good doctors that will give you drugs to cure it (or better to cure the symptoms, but hey the symptoms of depression are...well, depression, so if you cure them you're basically good to go), but sadly the word depression can mean just being very sad for perfectly clear reasons. And that, kids, is why God invented alcohol and women (I'm kidding, don't believe in that "God" crap)

I'm boring even myself, you want to know why I actually wanted to write this post? (I mean, before I decided I had to add some stuff about ethics to impress the ladies) I find those ads incredibly hilarious, somehow I think the guy who wrote them is a frustrated comedian who couldn't make it to Hollywood and now he's taking some revenge on medical companies instead, let's take a look at another possible copyright infringement on my part:




Ok so it starts with a very reasonable "Hey you're still depressed after antidepressant?" argument, and then suggests to you that you may add another thing to the drug mix which is not an antidepressant, I don't know how a pill that cures depression isn't an antidepressant but then again I'm not a doctor so I guess it somehow makes sense. Now, unless you avoided taking medicines for your whole life (I did it until I was 22, not because I didn't wanted to, I was just incredibly healthy all the time) you know that for legal reasons medical companies have to list all the things that can go wrong with those medications, and sadly even a single antibiotic can kill you (well there's probably a 0,0000001% chance but they have to tell you about it). Now go back to the videos and listen carefully at the things the voice in the background says while happy people are decorating a patio, reading a newspaper or offering food to each other, smiling like there is nothing going wrong in the world


Call your doctor if your depression worsens or you have unusual changes in mood, behaviour or thoughts of suicide, antidepressants can increase this in children, teens and young adults 


elderly dementia patients taking abilify have and increased risk of death or stroke

call your doctor if you have high fever, stiff muscles and confusion on abilify as these may be signs of a life threatening reaction, or uncontrollable muscle movements, as these can become permanent


Let's not focus here on the fact that you should take antidepressants only if you are somewhere between 40 and 60, if you're depressed you probably want to kill yourself so it's just kind from those pharmaceutical guys to give you a hand, I really like the fact that they chose to show a montage of very happy people doing happy stuff while some dude says how you're going to die horribly if you buy their product. I don't know if this works (it probably does as people don't usually have a very good attention span), but I somehow find it funny. And unethical, terribly terribly unethical, my dear ladies.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento